Monday, June 23, 2008

Worth It

My heart feels like it breaks a little more every day because of my strong-willed, totally defiant, completely disrespectful, fun-loving, sweet as pie two year old, Caleb. I am almost in tears right now because Brian and I just dont know what to do anymore.

He is on the verge of out of control...and he is two!! He doesnt listen, talks back, throws everything, hits me, kicks me, demands things...the list really just goes on and on. The thing that is so incomprehensible is that Brian and I ARE parents who follow through. He is disciplined every time he does something that calls for it. (which happens too many times daily to count). He just doesnt care! How did this happen? I definitely did not sign up for this! I think when you decide to have a baby you are wrapped up in planning the pregnancy, setting up the nursery, baby showers, baby smiles & giggles, etc. - not the extreme behavior issues you will encounter when your perfect little sweetie turns two and therefore turns into a little monster.

This morning's routine was all the same and b/c Caleb didnt want to put on his shoes and socks, he proceeded to kick me in the stomach and tell me "no!" Well, after his poor attitude and behavior all weekend, I had had enough and spanked him harder than I have ever spanked him before. (This is why my heart breaks!) I dont want to spank my child, but without it, I dont believe he will ever correct his temperament or behavior. Here are a few incredibly intelligent sentences from Dr. Dobson's book, The Strong Willed Child. I own the book, but I need it memorized....

"When that nose-to-nose confrontation occurs between generations, it is extremely important for the adult to display confidence and decisiveness. The child has made it clear that he’s looking for a fight, and his parents would be wise not to disappoint him! Nothing is more destructive to parental leadership than for a mother or father to equivocate during that struggle. When parents consistently lose those battles, resorting to tears and screaming and other signs of frustration, some dramatic changes take place in the way they are seen by their children. Instead of being secure and confident leaders, they become spineless jellyfish who are unworthy of respect or allegiance."

Brian and I really like to explain things to Caleb in a semi-adult manner b/c he is so darn smart and we know he understands us. We tell him that God put mommy and daddy in charge of him and God is in charge of mommy and daddy. And when Caleb obeys mommy and daddy, he is obeying God - and that makes God smile. Caleb really has such a huge heart and I realize this is a season, a test and trial for me to grow as a mom and as a person. But sometimes I really feel like I just cant do it. I am being pushed to the max by a tiny little person who I love more than I could ever explain. Just like God's mercies are new every day with us, my mercies with Caleb are new every morning too! I need God's patience and love as I continue on this path of parenthood. So far it is getting harder, but as the cliche says "Nothing in life that is worth it, is easy." I really believe that.

1 comment:

Erin said...

My friend. This season will pass. It's hard right now - I KNOW!! It will pass. Pray daily for his spirit - that it calms down and that God can teach you both what it is He has designed. I am so here for you, as you know I have been through this same thing. If you ever need an ear or someone to talk with - you call me. Love you.